Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Cisco ACS Migration 4.2.x to 5.6, continued

Well, hopefully you'll read this post before you start your own journey through the migration process. Because it'll save you a lot of time. This posting might be a bit more 'ranty' than it is technically helpful, but I've been working through a lot for the past few days. I'll still include valuable links where available.

In the last posting I made, I provided information, links, and possible components that you should consider when making the migration from ACS 4.x to 5.6.

Let's catch you up on where I am.

After obtaining console access to the Windows Virtual Machine, the migration utility still refused to run correctly. After doing some more digging, I found this piece of documentation regarding the migration utility for ACS 5.6, notably this piece:

The ACS 5.6 migration utility is not supported on Windows 2008 64 bit.
Well. Grand.

After doing a bit more research, I found that ACS 5.4 and ACS 5.5 have no such warnings about their migration utilities. So now, we take the ACS Appliance that we have, and attempt to downgrade it from ACS 5.6 to 5.4. Except that in this documentation and in this documentation (and trial and error), you cannot install ACS 5.4 on the 3495 Apppliance. So now, we move on to ACS 5.5, which is supported on the 3495.

So now, back to where we have been originally. Re-download the migration utility from ACS 5.5, make sure to configure the ACS unit for the web-based migration utility (see previous post), connect to the console of the Windows 2008 x64 Virtual Machine, and attempt to connect.

You can probably tell from my enthusiasm that it didn't work. Which, at that point, I've exhausted every forum post and blog post relevant to this process, so, we turn to the Cisco support forums:

CSCtn17779 Bug was noticed, Run the migration machine on Windows 2003 32-bit.

And there you have it. I don't have access to a Server 2003 x86 server, so I can't test the validity of the statement.


No comments: